Sunday, January 02, 2011

New Year's Celebration at the Lakehouse

A great weekend with great friends, once again! The Salem-area group met at the Lakehouse at Black Lake for New Year's weekend and we had a wonderful time.

We got there last - about 10:30 because of our Hat Island Trip and the timing of the ferry and all that. But, the first night we stayed up until 2:00 talking with everyone and just enjoying the down-time while all the kids were sleeping. It was really, really nice.

Saturday everyone was up by 8-8:30 for breakfast and then a full, but slow-paced day. The guys played disc golf, the girls took the kids to the play area and sat around and talked. After lunch at naptime the girls headed to the mall for some shopping. We ended up being gone longer than anticipated I think, but we we did have a nice time being together. For me, it would have been nice if our situation were different and I could have enjoyed being able to buy a thing or two for myself. But, that's OK. Self-control, discipline and patience are all good traits for me to mature.

Dinner followed by fireworks and then kids to bed and games for the adults until somewhere between 11-11:30.

This morning was more of the same. Beautiful (but cold) sunny weather, a big breakfast, more disc golf for the guys, sharing around the table and then clean and head home.

Love that group of friends. I fear I am falling behind in my social skills however. Really, I don't have any social interaction except what I get in Bible study (and we're watching a video half the time), or MoPS (and we have speakers that we listen to most of the two hours), or... when I'm with the Salem-area group every few weeks. I noticed some things about my interactions that really bothered me (and them too, I'm sure). It mostly had to do with me interrupting others with my own thoughts or stories. Sad. I think it all builds up inside... and then when I have a chance to actually have interaction with others (oh so rare, especially with good friends) I just let-loose. The dam is broken and I just "have" to get all my thoughts and stories and words from the last however-many-weeks, out. Anyways, it wasn't nice for them and after I realized what I was doing I'd try to catch myself and stop. I guess recognizing the issue is the first step, right? I certainly don't want them to "dread" me coming or not enjoy my company because I monopolize the conversation. So many shortcomings I have! So much to work on.

Lord, provide some good, strong friendships up here, please! I'm open. I'm ready!

Of course, who knows where we'll end up now that Layth is looking for work again. So many unknowns in 2011. I know I've said it a thousand times, but I am so glad that God is in control. I am so glad that in this world that is ever-changing; in MY world that is ever-changing, God does NOT CHANGE! He is the same yesterday, today and forever. His character remains the same and therefore, I can be confident that He is in control of My world, He can and will provide peace that passes understanding, joy that is undefined and perseverance to make it through until things settle down again. He is the Rock that I cling too, that is for sure!

And on that note and three blog posts later, I am heading to bed.

--Betsy

1 comment:

WestMud said...

We had such a good time too! I often times find it difficult to find the right time to speak my opinion, I don't know if you do too. If I wait to long the conversation quickly moves on and if I "BUT IN" I fear I cut someone off.

You know with this group I don't worry much. I always feel loved!