Tuesday, March 01, 2011

God's Faithfulness

God's Faithfulness... I have been thinking about this A LOT lately.  As I begin to write this it is Tuesday afternoon and three of the four jobs that Layth interviewed with to the end, have fallen through.  For one reason for another.  But through it all I am drawn to write about God's faithfulness.  I don't know what will happen with this last and final potential position.  If this one does not pan out we are "back to square one" so to speak.  And yet, if none of these "sure deals" pan out in the end does that mean that God is not faithful?  What if we continue down this journey for another 3 months or 9 months or a year?  Does that mean that God is not faithful?

God's faithfulness to us is not tied to "things" or circumstances that flow in our favor.  Even if we end up losing our house, running out of savings... God is STILL faithful to us.  Why?  Because as I mentioned, His faithfulness to me is not determined on how He meets my perceived needs.

Think of those who have lost a child, or those who are ill and even through prayer are not recovering.  Is God not faithful to them?

God IS faithful to them.   God's faithfulness = those things He provides for us and in us, that flow from His character.  I have learned this through the last year and a half of my life.  I have peace that is inexplicable, joy that radiates from deep within and is not dependant on my circumstances, perseverance that is drawn from somewhere besides myself.  God's faithfulness... THAT is what I am experiencing.  On a day by day basis.  Peace.  Joy.  Perseverance.  All of these find their origin in God.  God offers me joy because He is faithful; He is the source of joy.  God offers me peace as He proves to me He is faithful; He is the source of peace.  God offers me perseverance in a display of His faithfulness; He is the source of perseverance.   

So, even if Layth returns from this final interview and is not offered the job.   Never will I say "God was not faithful in this circumstance."  He has been faithful for He has offered me at all times, His peace, joy and perseverance.  THAT is the faithfulness of God.

I am not saying that we should not attribute to God the many-time miraculous ways He provides... in all things; both big and small.  He is with us daily and delights in giving us good gifts and providing for us; many times over and above what we can even ask or imagine.  But to attribute His faithfulness to only those circumstances which finally come to fruition is to miss the point that He is faithful in ALL circumstances.  Even the ones that end "terrible."

I am SO glad that I can count on Him to be faithful.  No matter what happens.  He is the Well that I draw from and His water (for me right now:  peace, joy, persevereance) is never-ending.  He is faithful to provide.  In Him will I trust, no matter the outcome.

No comments: